Whether you have been arrested for a criminal offense or you are under investigation, you want to talk to an experienced defense lawyer as soon as possible. You should not talk with anyone else and you should not cooperate with the police or their investigators without first retaining a lawyer.
Do not fall for the trap that “we are here to get the story right or that we are here to help you” that is commonly used by law enforcement to ensure your conviction. Hire a lawyer immediately. At McKoon, Williams, Atchley & Stanley, PLLC our Chattanooga criminal defense attorneys can protect the rights of the accused in the state and federal courts of Tennessee. We have the resources and experience to handle a wide range of criminal charges, we are ready to step in and protect your rights as soon as possible.
We provide knowledgeable criminal defense representation to clients of Chattanooga and throughout the surrounding areas.
Responsive to Your Concerns
Contact McKoon, Williams, Atchley & Stanley, PLLC
From our law offices in Chattanooga, we are ready to step in at any point of the criminal process, from right after your arrest or when bail is posted to your arraignment or trial. The sooner you contact us, the more we can do to fight your charges and minimize the potential consequences, so do not wait to take action. We handle a wide range of criminal matters, including:
- DUI: If you have been arrested for drunk driving, we can protect your rights in court and help you retain your license at the DMV.
- Drug offenses: From simple possession to drug trafficking, we can handle a wide range of state and federal drug crimes
- Theft: There are a number of theft crimes in Tennessee, so it is important that you hire an attorney to fight to lower the charges as you and your attorney work towards an acquittal.
- Violent crimes: There are very serious consequences for violent crimes in Tennessee. From assault and battery to murder, we can protect your rights.
- White collar crimes: With a background in accounting and taxation, our attorneys are uniquely suited to handle white collar crimes, including financial fraud and embezzlement.
Federal Criminal Defense
Many people don’t realize that crimes are tried on many different levels. Most crimes are held under the jurisdiction of the state and in almost every instance a crime will be tried on this level. In some cases, however, a crime will fall under the jurisdiction of the federal government. These cases typically involve the more severe of crimes that have harsher penalties. Due to this increased severity, if you have found that you have been criminally charged with a federal crime, you do not have a moment to lose in consulting with an attorney that you can rely upon.
What are the complexities of a federal offense?
Crimes that are usually classified as federal crimes are those that either affect the country as a whole or those that cross state lines. For example, common federal crimes include kidnapping, drug trafficking and terrorism. While these can incorporate the element of violence, not every federal crime is a violent act. In fact, many federal crimes fall under the umbrella term of white collar crimes and include money laundering, fraud of all kinds, tax evasion and counterfeiting.
In cases such as this, you will not be dealing with local law enforcements leading the investigation. Instead, it will likely be a government agency, such as the FBI, that will be looking into the case. According to the FBI, they have jurisdiction over 200 different categories of federal law; the categories that are considered to be their priority include the following:
- Internet crime;
- Public corruption;
- Civil rights violations;
- Organized crime;
- White collar crimes; and
- Violent crimes and theft